Jose Bautista Doesn't Believe In Hometown Discounts Or Negotiating

Andrew Stoeten
February 22 2016 01:25PM

Jose Bautista
Photo Credit: John E. Sokolowski-USA TODAY Sports

When Jose Bautista talks about the surplus value he's brought to the Blue Jays over the life of his contract, he is unequivocally, 100% bang on. A recent piece at FanGraphs pegged him as having been worth nearly $100-million beyond the $70-million they'll end up paying him over the life of his current contract.

It's just... uh... KABLAMMO:

Part of me can't fault Bautista for wanting to get paid after so many years playing below market value. Most of me, however, wants to remind Jose that a "hometown discount" has nothing to do with the mutually-risky deal he signed following his breakout 2010 season. Yes, it has turned out to be a huge bargain for the Jays, but it's not like he was doing them any favours when he put pen to paper.

More important than all that, all of me wants to go make some popcorn, then settle in and enjoy how the fan base is going to react to his statement above, which comes as we're also learning all this:

This stuff should come as a surprise to no one... except anyone who thought Jose might be savvy enough to not completely torch as much goodwill among fans as humanly possible.

Which isn't to say that he's wrong about having proven himself and having played for a discount for a long time, it's just... he's got some awfully funny ideas about how negotiations and the marketplace work.

Or maybe he doesn't! He's not an Edwin Encarnacion, whose market is severely limited by the fact that he's a full-time DH. Jose can play for any team, and he'll be the top free agent hitter next winter. Suggesting that there's a price he expects to get and that it's a waste of time to try to negotiate him down because surely someone will pay it is maybe not particularly endearing, but it's probably not wrong either.

So... how about that for a start to spring training, eh?

The thing is, he can say whatever the hell he wants. Whether he returns to the Blue Jays always has been a matter of money, no matter how anybody postures, and maybe it's cooler than a whole lot of people are probably going to think that he's just being honest about it. I mean, he knows what the parent company is worth just as well as we all do, and in a warped way this is like him demanding that they do right by the Blue Jays by doing right by him.

Or, at least, that's how he should spin it. Not that I think it will work either way! In which case, why set yourself up publicly to be castigated -- however inaccurately -- as the typical greedy athlete? Just to tell the world you know what you're worth and remind them that you've been hard done by with your mere $14-million per season these last few years? Sure, players deserve every penny they can wring out of the billionaires and giant corporations that make so much money off their backs, but I don't know how digging in so publicly helps anything.

Kinda fun to watch, though! And speaking of...

Oh, this totally won't get old over the next eight months!

116c31b85bd34142533970965b30f2c0
Andrew Stoeten, co-creator of Drunk Jays Fans, has written about, podcasted, tweeted, lived and breathed Toronto Blue Jays baseball full time since 2006. He sometimes responds to emails to stoeten@gmail.com. Follow him: @AndrewStoeten.
#101 OakvilleJays
February 22 2016, 04:22PM
DAKINS wrote:

He's called out Rogers more than once in the past.

Good points. It's true that Rogers holds the chequebook.

However, aren't Shapiro & Atkins paid to negotiate these deals?

I think Bautista deserves major pops for focusing on the real FMV of Rogers corp, i.e. market cap as opposed to listening to Beeston or McCown when they say the Jays lost money in 2014 etc.

As a professional bean counter, I know how easy it is to turn a profit into a loss or vice versa so I applaud Bautista for realizing that the team has a lot of value to Rogers.

#102 mktoronto
February 22 2016, 04:30PM
AJ, Breakfast Army Fan wrote:

I'm gonna try to be easy with my criticism of the comment format here. The site was literally made today and Stoeten certainly deserves some time to work details out.

After reading some of Jose's comments, I'm pretty sure if he could uproot the Rogers statue and flip it into Lake Ontario, he would. I respect him for not putting up with that corporate BS, but I hope his ask is actually reasonable and not trying to recoup money for the value he provided over his current deal.

I just hope they can be worked out. I worry that the design of the site won't allow the things we're asking for.

#103 Cock Flakes
February 22 2016, 04:30PM
props

Holy crap. When it changed from DJF to AndrewStoeten.com the comment section format was the best part. I just read the whole thread and it is like reading a novel but skipping every second page. I have a feeling a lot of regulars will start to disappear; myself included.

#104 Bill Risley Lives
February 22 2016, 04:34PM
props

It does tend to suck some of the immediacy out of things...game day threads are gonna be brutal.

#105 OakvilleJays
February 22 2016, 04:36PM
Joanna wrote:

Jose Bautista did not become an elite player without a nutrition plan. He just did it himself by hiring people. He talked about it in the Globe and Mail over the weekend. I'm sure, given his comments on how he has developed his body, he is on board with the new changes Shapiro has implemented. Why not have a whole team of people that are on whole body plan?

Agreed. I have no problems with a better nutrition plan & weight equipment etc.

It should help the Jays develop younger players better than under the previous regime.

However, losing EE & JB will cripple the team's playoff hopes for 2017-2020.

McCown is going on about Tulo,Martin & Donaldson being paid over $20M per year.

McCown says the Jays could trade Bautista after 2 years, but Davidi reminded him that the 10/5 years no trade rights would stay with any contract extension

#106 The Drunken Wolf
February 22 2016, 04:36PM
Bill Risley Lives wrote:

I'll be the first to admit I'm not a fan of change, period. But hopefully this can get fixed and all the regulars don't disappear.

#107 AJ, Breakfast Army Fan
February 22 2016, 04:37PM
mktoronto wrote:

I've never really acknowledged how great Disqus is. Hopefully a similar functionality can be found. Hopefully that happens before my F5/refresh key breaks from wear.

#108 Dover 2011
February 22 2016, 04:38PM
props

Bautista told the new regime to " go home and getcha fu#%n shine box "

#109 Cock Flakes
February 22 2016, 04:44PM

@Dover 2011

Does that mean Shapiro and Atkins are going to beat Joey to death?

#110 The Real That Guy
February 22 2016, 04:49PM

To all the DJfers and AndrewStoeteners:

You're all great, and intelligently discussing baseball with you all is a treat. But this comment section is making my head explode so I may lay off the commenting/discussing and stick to the reading for a bit (at least while I find my bearings in this strange new world).

Try to keep the puckheads at bay!

#111 The Real That Guy
February 22 2016, 05:02PM
props

Damn it's hard not to comment on baseball...

I won't believe these swirling Jay Bruce rumours until @baseball_jenn tells me it's true.

#112 OakvilleJays
February 22 2016, 05:43PM
mktoronto wrote:

Here we go again. Jose goes way out of his way to indicate his issue is with Rogers, thus making it clear he would have done this to AA as well. Yet it's all Shapiro's fault. Ok.

Shapiro is the President of the club. Atkins is the GM.

Shapiro & Atkins flew down to Tampa to meet with Bautista in early February.

Shapiro & Atkins meet with Bautista & agent at the All Star Game in Toronto.

Bautista let's Shapiro know his contract demand & no negotiations.

Isn't it conceivable that if the first meeting went well, Bautista would be willing to flexible & keep negotiations private.

He never went against AA or Rogers in contract negotiations in 2011.

Shapiro is paid top dollar to negotiate these contracts.

He can't play the role of naïve bystander in these talks.

#113 Wince
February 22 2016, 06:00PM

Greetings former DJFers.

-Formerly "wince"

#114 Bodster31
February 22 2016, 06:37PM
props

A left handed power bat is what Bruce brings

#115 The Drunken Wolf
February 22 2016, 06:50PM

@Wince

How you liking the new site dude?

#116 soupman
February 22 2016, 07:21PM
DAKINS wrote:

LOL WUT?

If you are comparing the difference in payroll between the Indians, and the Jays, then you are not doing a very good job. They don't have the two highest spending teams in the sport (until the Dodgers very recently went insane) skyrocketing the average payroll for the division into the stratosphere.

you do know the schedule is imbalanced and the jays play those teams 3x more than the indians, right?

#117 mktoronto
February 22 2016, 08:16PM
OakvilleJays wrote:

Shapiro is the President of the club. Atkins is the GM.

Shapiro & Atkins flew down to Tampa to meet with Bautista in early February.

Shapiro & Atkins meet with Bautista & agent at the All Star Game in Toronto.

Bautista let's Shapiro know his contract demand & no negotiations.

He never went against AA or Rogers in contract negotiations in 2011.

Shapiro is paid top dollar to negotiate these contracts.

He can't play the role of naïve bystander in these talks.

Bautista's position in 2011 was vastly different than now. If you recall, in 2011 he was coming of a monster season during his first full year as a regular player in the major leagues. He had been dismissed as a journeyman and at the time a lot of people considered his year a fluke. Now, of course, he's a 5 time all-star,face of the franchise,bat-flippin' hero of the ALDS. Big difference.

Isn't it conceivable that Bautista knows he has a lot of earnings to make up and wants to maximize his value?Isn't it conceivable that in the meetings discussions of the overall budget came up and Bautista realized that the FO could use some leverage against Rogers to get a commitment to a larger payroll?

If he's so pissed off at Shapiro,why is he going out of his way to point out how much he likes what he is doing and that his beef is not them but Rogers?

Oh right. In your world Shapiro is an asshole who does everything wrong.

#118 mktoronto
February 22 2016, 08:19PM
Wince wrote:

Greetings former DJFers.

-Formerly "wince"

Hi Wince! Welcome to insanity!

#119 mktoronto
February 22 2016, 09:31PM

From Gregor's transcript:

Bautista: I don't want to make this Spring Training, or the season, about my contract situation, and I have to be fair to everybody, including myself, and focus on continuing to play baseball and be as productive as I can be. Because of those reasons, I'm not going to continue to answer questions about this for a very long time. I've expressed my interest in the past, my desire to stay here, and I don't think I need to continue to say it all the time.

Pretty much confirms my theory that he's done this to shut everyone up.

#120 ziggaman730
February 23 2016, 07:26AM
props

Jose playing hardball I see.

#121 James
February 23 2016, 09:24AM

@neocec

I'm going to photoshop a Dodgers hat onto Bautista now and file it a way for the time being, like a prepared obit.

#122 DAKINS
February 23 2016, 09:55AM
OakvilleJays wrote:

Good points. It's true that Rogers holds the chequebook.

However, aren't Shapiro & Atkins paid to negotiate these deals?

They are paid to negotiate. Rogers is most likely pushing them hard to bring his asking price down considerably.

Bautista is smart enough to take that option out of their hands and focus the attention onto Rogers, who needs up step up to the plate and do right by the organization and pay him what he deserves to retire as a Blue Jay.

Basically, he's doing them a favour. The Jays FO can say, "Well, we can't low ball him, so it's on you ownership. I'd suggest you increase our budget, or all those new fans you were so happy to see sell out every game in the last half of the season are going to walk away in droves."

#123 DAKINS
February 23 2016, 09:57AM
OakvilleJays wrote:

Agreed. I have no problems with a better nutrition plan & weight equipment etc.

However, losing EE & JB will cripple the team's playoff hopes for 2017-2020.

McCown is going on about Tulo,Martin & Donaldson being paid over $20M per year.

These are excellent examples of why nobody should listen to McCown.

#124 DAKINS
February 23 2016, 09:58AM
soupman wrote:

Uh..... of course they do.

That only further proves my point......

Comments are closed for this article.