Welcome To TheBlueJaysNation.com!

Andrew Stoeten
February 22 2016 09:28AM

USATSI_8862053_168381338_lowres
Photo Credit: Dan Hamilton/USA TODAY Sports

Does today seem like a good day for new beginnings or what? The Blue Jays have officially opened camp down in Dunedin, Florida, taking the first steps on their path towards defending the American League East title they won last fall, and my coverage of the club has moved into these splashy new digs! Welcome to TheBlueJaysNation.com!

Here, get pumped (y'know, before the video gets taken down)!

Big changes like this are scary, I know, and it might take a couple of days before you start to get used to the new look and feel of the place -- it will for me, too -- but I can promise you that this is a great thing that's happening here. I've joined forces with The Nation Network a tremendous independent, Canadian network of blogs that, in addition to a bunch of great behind-the-scenes stuff for me -- you'll still see my freelance work elsewhere, the podcast is sill the podcast, and I no longer have to look at my dumb face every damn time I go to the site -- will be allow me to make this the best possible site it can be for Jays fans, too. I have a budget for other writers, for example. There will be weekend content! And I can spend less time worrying about SEO, dealing with ads, swimming around in code, etc. etc.

In other words, I've now got a great amount of support that just wasn't there over this last year on my own, and other than that, it's going to be business as usual -- only better!

And this is just the beginning.

Some housekeeping:

Now, for those of you who comment regularly, this means another change, and signing up (for free) with the Nation Network (and check your spam email if you don't get an authentication email back within a minute or two!). I'm sorry to those who might bristle at that -- and don't be afraid of the comment moderation stuff you'll see, just avoid swears for now, and I'll work on trying to change that (otherwise I'd never get a comment through myself). And not that you were going to, but don't worry, all my previous content will be accessible again soon through this site -- I mean, how cruel would it be to zap all that hard work into dust just because of a URL change? Ho ho ho. Annnnywho, please forgive whatever growing pains we might experience in the next couple days, be sure to change your bookmarks (though AndrewStoeten.com will permanently redirect here), exclude this domain from your adblocker, and otherwise, enjoy the new site! I know I will. Now let's talk Jays!

116c31b85bd34142533970965b30f2c0
Andrew Stoeten, co-creator of Drunk Jays Fans, has written about, podcasted, tweeted, lived and breathed Toronto Blue Jays baseball full time since 2006. He sometimes responds to emails to stoeten@gmail.com. Follow him: @AndrewStoeten.
#151 Stay in the box
February 22 2016, 02:50PM
Steve-O wrote:

Everything is so different and scary, but your table flipping is an oasis of normal is a raging sea of new.

Thanks for being here for us Wolf.

#152 Kristen Sprague
February 22 2016, 02:51PM
props

I click refresh and then WTF!!!. Kudos on the new site and besides the culture shock and changes, I'm sure it will end up being better.

#153 toprightcorner
February 22 2016, 02:56PM

Welcome to the NATION

I am very excited to see the Blue Jays a part of the Nation group. Was not aware of your previous site but I know if you were brought to the Nation, you will be awesome.

Also welcome to the new commenters, hopefully you will also enjoy the NATION wide hockey coverage. (see what I did there!)

#154 toprightcorner
February 22 2016, 02:58PM

2 Questions for BAGGEDMILK:

1) Will there be a link directly to the Blue Jays site on top of the page?

2)Will I be able to have a different username on the Jays site?

#155 Naslund
February 22 2016, 03:15PM
props

I have absolutely no interest in Toronto's baseball team, nor do I want to understand why those in Toronto seem to think I do. Perhaps we could choose something more relevant to Canucks fans. Jai Alai anyone?

#156 ColourMeImpressed
February 22 2016, 03:34PM
props

Will there be in-depth articles on ideal gut-to-home run ratio of these elite athletes?

Can I expect coverage for on-mound vs bullpen ballscratching?

Shall there be attempts at encouraging scientific studies on how ball players themselves are replacing chewing tobacco with other substances in an attempt to not fall asleep at the very game they're playing?

#157 AJ, Breakfast Army Fan
February 22 2016, 03:37PM

Awesome, congrats Stoeten!

My reaction to the comments, starting on page 1:

1. WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE?!

2. This comment format [effing] [stinks]!

Getting Disqus back or something similar would be great. Going through pages of comments is annoying. This format also isn't mobile-friendly like Disqus is. Of course the ability to curse should be required as well!

But let's be honest, I'd put up with any format to talk with you wonderful people! I also think it's a good a time as ever for a new username... if I can ever think of one.

Go Jays you [a-holes]!

#158 Steve-O
February 22 2016, 03:39PM
Naslund wrote:

The Canucks might have better luck at Jai Alai, hockey sure hasn't worked out for them.

#159 Brainojack
February 22 2016, 03:56PM
props

Ive always hated sox nation and leafs nation, but perhaps I can get behind this. Goodluck with the new site stoeten, cant wait for the new season and your coverage

#160 Kennedy and Stouffville Rd
February 22 2016, 03:58PM
props

Wow...to reiterate what others have said, how are you to have a conversation coherently on here? Oh wait... Please bring back the threaded comments. That was the best part of the old site. Well...that and content. Great to see familiar names here. Hopefully this will somehow be sorted or adjusted to. That or I'm going all 90s old school and finding a good Jays forum on Mirc. I'll come for the Stoeten,and the fantastic people that debate baseball intelligently while flipping tables and posting gifs, teaching me to see how to appreciate baseball and the jays that much more, but will miss his personality in the old site. You sold out brother. Congrats in a sincerely positive way. Enjoy the fruits of your labour and don't lose your passion Mr. Stoeten that made us love your writing and thus, made us love the jays even more.

#161 mktoronto
February 22 2016, 04:01PM
Naslund wrote:

And a bunch of us who had no interest in hockey but had this kick ass baseball site are now having our little community questioned by puck-heads like yourself. So far we're not liking it any more than you are.

#162 mktoronto
February 22 2016, 04:04PM
AJ, Breakfast Army Fan wrote:

Awesome, congrats Stoeten!

My reaction to the comments, starting on page 1:

1. WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE?!

2. This comment format [effing] [stinks]!

Go Jays you [a-holes]!

My biggest concern is that this new format is going to make it very difficult to have discussions. Hope there is a fix soon.

#163 mktoronto
February 22 2016, 04:10PM
ColourMeImpressed wrote:

Can I expect coverage for on-mound vs bullpen ballscratching?

We discuss none of those things. In fact, baseball adopted advanced stats way before hockey did. Stoeten is one of the best bloggers out there and his writing is an asset to any network.

Baseball. Try it, you might like it.

#164 Harbourcat Fan
February 22 2016, 04:34PM

@WhoreableGuy

"It's okay if you think baseball is boring. It's kinda a smart person's sport." credit to Bloggers to be named later

#165 Jays of Thunder
February 22 2016, 05:34PM
props

There are so many new people here.

Congrats on the the phase Stoeten.

Yes, the comment system needs work, but that's what spring training is for!

#166 TL Mosby
February 22 2016, 07:17PM
mktoronto wrote:

That is my biggest concern too. Disqus was much better that way.

But hopefully this mean Stoeten is making some scratch.

Go Rowdy!

#167 Oilers G- Nations Poet Laureate
February 22 2016, 07:25PM

Finally, BLUE JAYS!

The Boys of Summer are HERE

Bat Flips are just EPIC.

#168 Kevwan
February 22 2016, 08:50PM
props

Bruce for Saunders? Good move I think.

#169 nocramps13
February 22 2016, 10:10PM
props

Regarding the new format. The djf/Stoeten site was a wonderfully enlightening and somehow intimate interaction between Jays fans from many different angles. The ability to carry out conversations in real time during games was a thing of joy. Unless I'm missing something, I can't see that being replicated as things stand now. I'll try it out but right now 'single tear'.

#170 David
February 22 2016, 11:14PM
nocramps13 wrote:

The aesthetics and UI of the Nation Network in general are bad. Though, they won't stop me from reading Stoeten's or TLN's content. Context > aesthetics, but a responsive web redesign would be very nice.

#171 ffenlive it
February 23 2016, 07:52AM
props

The layout of the article/comments is atrocious, but familiar names are pleasing.

Hope it works out for the same discussion that was found on the old site!

#172 #12MorrisLukowich
February 23 2016, 10:46AM
props

Why TF is THIS on hockey nation????

#173 (Redacted)
February 23 2016, 12:01PM
props

Spring training is here so I decided to stop by my favorite source of Blue Jays things and I'm taken to a weird and wonderful new land. I'm kind of uncomfortable and scared and it smells funny but I see familiar names so I think it might be OK. :-) Hello everyone! I hope you all had a great winter. Looking forward to another fun season.

#174 Burger_Man
February 25 2016, 01:13PM

Congrats Stoeten!

I don't comment often, so the comments section doesn't bother me. Glad to see your content hosted at a great site.

I have been reading DJF and its iterations since the beginning, but have also read hockey content on the Nation Network for years. I find the writers of the Nation Network to be a similar bunch of snarky, insightful, generally thought-provoking and hilarious bunch that you will fit right in with . . . even if bridging from hockey to baseball.

Congrats on your continued evolution . . . and "nice catch" to the Nation Network team!

Comments are closed for this article.