Westhead: Bautista Is Asking For Five Years, $150-Million

Andrew Stoeten
February 23 2016 11:13AM

money

Welp. The (hopefully permanent) falling apart of the Jay Bruce trade can wait a few moments because TSN's Rick Westhead would like to explode your mind:

That's... um... a lot. A whoooole lot.

Dave Cameron of FanGraphs says that "no team would give him this. No team would even consider it."

Keith Law asks, "For his age 36 to 40 seasons? Really?"

And for me, what immediately jumps to mind is how badly Bautista's agent, Jay Alou, played his hand when Ervin Santana went through free agency in the winter before 2014. Because hoo boy, this is a hand that looks like it's awfully overplayed right now.

That is, if we believe the report.

That's the second thing that jumps to mind (because apparently I'm a total cynic -- who knew?).

As much as I shouldn't let this be the thing that always comes up whenever Westhead reports something, he diiiiid say that the Jays were making a play for Zack Greinke back in November. This sounds less crazy than that, but not by a whole lot.

Could somebody be floating this for the purposes of making Jose look bad, unreasonable, delusional, and impossible for the Jays to deal with? That's certainly a leap to make, but if you were going to do a thing like that, this is probably the avenue you'd take.

But, with apologies to Jose if it's way off, it doesn't seem too outlandish for someone with the kind of self-belief Bautista has -- someone who takes care of his body like few others, and can not unreasonably argue that he's a young 35 in baseball terms, because he spent so much of his early career on the bench.

It's just... uh... it's totally outlandish. In debating this with Fairservice and several Sportsnet guys at a Pitch Talks event a few weeks ago, we figured that $100-million might the number Jose would set his sights on, and even then it was debatable whether that was a reasonable ask. So $150-million? A $30-million salary every year for ages 36 to 40?

That's crazy and it sucks.

And if someone from the team is floating false information in order to push the "greedy player" narrative and shift either leverage or public goodwill back towards the team, well then that's crazy and shitty, too.

I don't know what it all means, of course. But I do know that this isn't the last we'll be hearing of it.

UPDATE 1:30 PM ET

Didn't I tell you that wasn't the last we'd be hearing of it? Bautista has rubbished the report:

Appropriately, Richie Football provides the kicker:

Probably! Or... I don't even know what to believe anymore.

Image via.

116c31b85bd34142533970965b30f2c0
Andrew Stoeten, co-creator of Drunk Jays Fans, has written about, podcasted, tweeted, lived and breathed Toronto Blue Jays baseball full time since 2006. He sometimes responds to emails to stoeten@gmail.com. Follow him: @AndrewStoeten.
#51 Jay (not J)
February 23 2016, 02:01PM
props

Hard to be reasonable or detached about this. Jose has been a value contract for the Jays for years and each season he has continued to contribute at a high level. He certainly didn't look like he was getting old last October when he took back the team MVP mantle from Donaldson who was not able to bring the rain when the runners were on base. At the same time how can Shappy bet that he wont fall off over the course of that deal? This kind of looks like a no win situation for management, especially in light of Jose's 'I gave them the number they can take it or leave it' line.

#52 mktoronto
February 23 2016, 02:03PM
Riggs wrote:

This website has turned into a piece of garbage.

Lets give Andrew a little time to fix it. When he moved to AndrewStoeten.com from The Score it took a bit of time to adjust as well.

#53 2damkule
February 23 2016, 02:20PM
Riggs wrote:

This website has turned into a piece of garbage.

that's awesome, and here i was thinking that this website had turned stoeten's content to garbage! thanks for setting it straight!

#54 ffenliv
February 23 2016, 02:39PM

@mktoronto

I think what people fear here is that the 'nation' site and brand is already established, and Stoeten won't likely be able to enact the sort of changes people want, like the old threaded discussions.

#55 DAKINS
February 23 2016, 02:58PM
TS wrote:

This is not the narrative you want going into a season where your supposed to defend your AL East title and challenge for a World Series.

Jose Bautista, whatever you think of him, brought this on himself by giving terrible angry answers to interview questions the last couple of days.

Jays won two World Series without the Prima Donna that was George Bell.

We'll win won without Bats too....

Bad take is bad....

#56 mktoronto
February 23 2016, 03:03PM
ffenliv wrote:

I have the same fear. But it's day two and both Andrew and the managing editor of this site are asking for feedback. I'm willing to give it a couple of weeks to see what can be done.

#57 Cock Flakes
February 23 2016, 03:09PM

@mktoronto

I thought the comment format was the best part about the change from DJF to Andrewstoeten.com. I am not sure what he can do to fix this comment forum. I guess it really is a comment section as opposed a discussion forum.

#58 99 NOW 97
February 23 2016, 03:10PM
props

What Jose would you do if you could not hit a baseball ?

You aint worth 30 Million ... Leave. go sell cars.

#59 Cock Flakes
February 23 2016, 03:19PM
99 NOW 97 wrote:

What Jose would you do if you could not hit a baseball ?

You aint worth 30 Million ... Leave. go sell cars.

You can say that about any professional athlete. At the end of the day it is us silly f@cks making it possible.

That being said how higher can TV contracts, tickets, beer and food go before the bubble breaks.

#60 NewPants
February 23 2016, 03:19PM
props

Move him quick so they can get enough talent back to make the playoffs.

Thanks.

#61 Rolluptherim
February 23 2016, 03:33PM
props

He already commented regarding this and said it's False, with the look on his eyes like "who's the douche that's spreading this"

#62 mktoronto
February 23 2016, 03:51PM
Cock Flakes wrote:

That's the difference! I've been trying to describe it. Thanks.

SOSH started out as a discussion board and then created a site with content to compliment it. Maybe we can do it the other direction?

#63 mktoronto
February 23 2016, 03:52PM
NewPants wrote:

Move him quick so they can get enough talent back to make the playoffs.

Thanks.

Or keep him and know you have the talent to make the playoffs. Why keep putting off to tomorrow when we can win now?

#64 Paul22
February 23 2016, 04:09PM
props

If that's true then Joey simply wants out since its simply not happening, and everyone knows it. Maybe he wants to force a trade and not be held back by draft pick compensation.

I hope he takes out an insurance policy like Scherzer. An injury deflates his market value, much farther south than 150 million, like a balloon that lands on a hot stove.

#65 Bad Dabbler
February 23 2016, 04:33PM
props

Couldn't it be Joses way of saying

...this is my pipe dream scenario I don't expect you to actually give me this But it's the premium it will cost you if you want me to give up exploring free agency waters at years end

#66 Fred Bonspiel
February 23 2016, 05:46PM
props

I like the way Jose is sticking it to Rogers. All you need to know about Rogers is, instead of a statue of Joe Cater or Robbie out front , it's freakin Ted Rogers.

#67 Canard
February 23 2016, 06:42PM
props

Obviously $150 million is ridiculous. (And further updates suggest as much.) But had $150 million been true, the way to go is to hold on to Bautista this year, give him a qualifying offer, and then wait for Bautista to see that no one is going to give him $150 million.

After he sees what teams are willing to give him, bring him back and make an offer near that. That's fair.

#68 OakvilleJays
February 23 2016, 06:48PM
Steve-O wrote:

So Bautista calls the 5/150 reports "False" as per Shi Davidi.

Maybe we all need to take a giant step back from the ledge.

Friday they'll announce he's signed a 4/90 extension and we'll sit back and have a good ol' laugh about all this craziness.

I hope you are right but 4/100 with a 5th year option makes sense.

I love the fact that Bautista is calling out Rogers on their murky accounting policies.

The stock price of Rogers rose 15% from the trade deadline till the end of the playoffs.

Allowing Rogers to play hardball with the Jays while blowing $5Bln on Hockey TV rights is absurd.

#69 OakvilleJays
February 23 2016, 06:55PM

@Paul22

I do wonder about that. A qualifying offer on Bautista would have some effect on his next contract.

However, it's not that big a deal.

I could see the Yankees, Red Sox & Dodgers pouncing on Bautista if he became a free agent.

Shapiro may welcome an opportunity to trade Bautista since it would reduce expectations on the team being able to compete in 2016-2019.

McCown had a guest on his show tonight discussing trading Bautista during spring training. Mccown seemed to be unaware of his no trade clause ( 10-5 ) rights.

#70 OakvilleJays
February 23 2016, 06:58PM
mktoronto wrote:

I agree with you MK. I would not trade Bautista or EE this year. The goal should be to win the World Series this year.

I don't think the team would react well to losing Bautista this year

#71 OakvilleJays
February 23 2016, 07:01PM
mktoronto wrote:

That's the difference! I've been trying to describe it. Thanks.

Agred MK.

I want the Discuss system back. I can't follow any comments to me that easily under this new system. I have to go through all the comments.

I enjoy going back & forth with you & the other regulars.

#72 OakvilleJays
February 23 2016, 07:17PM
mktoronto wrote:

I think Stoeten should be able to make the necessary improvements to the site. I would like to be able to get a notification when someone upticks or downticks my posts.

I also want to know when someone replies to my comments.

#73 JustinTet
February 23 2016, 08:18PM
OakvilleJays wrote:

However, it's not that big a deal.

A qualifying offer is going to have 0 effect on his next contract. Teams would be lined up to give a 1st round pick for Bautista.

#74 JustinTet
February 23 2016, 08:19PM
OakvilleJays wrote:

However, it's not that big a deal.

Shapiro would rather have a less competitive team and lower expectations? That's a good one.

#75 Paul22
February 23 2016, 08:36PM

@OakvilleJays

Good point on the 10/5 rights. I doubt Bautista would waive it for a ST deal, but he probably would at the deadline, depending on the team of course

#76 Paul22
February 23 2016, 08:38PM
props

For me the comments are fine. I actually don't like nested comments much. However, I would like to see an edit feature, so my old eyes miss many typos until I hit the reply button, and then its sink or edit

#77 Paul22
February 23 2016, 08:40PM

@JustinTet

Yes, teams will accept losing a pick, but Bautista and his agent know they end up paying for it since teams account for the monetary value of the loss in their offer. So 110 million becomes 100 million

#78 JustinTet
February 23 2016, 08:43PM
Paul22 wrote:

Yeah. It really hurt Grienke too. Imagine how much he would have gotten without that pick around his neck. QOs only affect marginal players, not superstars.

#79 OakvilleJays
February 23 2016, 09:05PM
props

The media backlash against Bautista begins!

The battle between Bautista & the Jays will be the story of the season. Don't forget the other Jays who will be free agents at years's end like EE, Cecil etc.

It will be interesting to see how Shapiro handles the clubhouse dynamics this year.

#80 OakvilleJays
February 23 2016, 09:14PM
Paul22 wrote:

I think this will be a very interesting season for the Jays. I am not happy about all the drama with Bautista & EE.

I hope the Jays get off to a strong start & are in a playoff spot at the deadline.

This would reduce the chances that Shapiro tries to trade EE or JB.

I am worried that the media will pounce on every losing streak & ask Shapiro if he plans to trade Jose or EE.

I would like to enjoy the baseball season & not get caught up with all the drama.

I hope Bautista & the Jays work out a deal.

#81 OakvilleJays
February 23 2016, 09:23PM
JustinTet wrote:

Shapiro has the PR & media support to try to trade Bautista this year.

There is a segment of the fan base that will be outraged at Bautista asking for a 100M + contract.

If the team is faltering during the season, pressure will rise on Shapiro to try & trade Bautista to get better prospects than what a qualifying pick would yield.

Shapiro may have a chance to sell fans on a rebuild for 2017-2020.

He could let EE,Cecil, Bautista & Dickey go .

Dickey, Bautista & EE will be worth qualifying picks.

Shapiro came into the Jays after their first playoff appearance since 1993.

If the team is struggling at the deadline, he will have enough media support to trade the potential free agents & begin the rebuild.

A rebuild in 2017 would lower fan expectations, so he could focus on getting the team competitive by the time his contract ends in 2020.

2016 is a make it or break it year for the Jays

#82 afanofthesummergame
February 23 2016, 09:40PM
props

I too enjoyed Joey Batts giving it to Rogers by exposing their gazillions of profit after the trade dead line. Always remember that the ultra cheap Rogers counts paper clips and staples.

I'm not sure the new Yankees would be willin to spend that amount. They already have several senior citizens on their roster who seem to be on the d.l. more than they are on the field. They also let Cano walk which would never have happened under George.

The organization I see Bautista going to is the Dodgers who can't spend enough which includes six ex G.M.'s. One being A.A. who I think would really push for Bautista. L.A. of course also has the huge latino population. So my better money is L.A.

#83 Karl Sagan
February 24 2016, 08:55AM
props

We're still getting loads of Stoeten input. It's just that the comments - and which genius out there figured this format was a good idea - are all over the place. I have my doubts as to whether that can be fixed, but that's half the reason I tune in.

#84 JustinTet
February 24 2016, 09:42AM
OakvilleJays wrote:

Shapiro has the PR & media support to try to trade Bautista this year.

Shapiro may have a chance to sell fans on a rebuild for 2017-2020.

He could let EE,Cecil, Bautista & Dickey go .

Dickey, Bautista & EE will be worth qualifying picks.

Shapiro came into the Jays after their first playoff appearance since 1993.

2016 is a make it or break it year for the Jays

There's no chance they give a qualifying offer to Dickey in my opinion. It was almost $16 million this year. That would be a huge overpay.

#85 abigditka
February 24 2016, 11:05AM
99 NOW 97 wrote:

What Jose would you do if you could not hit a baseball ?

You aint worth 30 Million ... Leave. go sell cars.

he already said this was false. I know Jose's team is smatter than 150 million over 5 years and no negotiation. He isnt 27-30 years old hes 35.

#86 wamco
February 24 2016, 11:15AM
props

Leaking outlandish numbers now then facing the backlash when he's playing in the Bronx under a totally reasonable deal a year from now would seem like an awfully shortsighted PR strategy.

#87 mktoronto
February 24 2016, 07:15PM
Paul22 wrote:

There is an edit button. It shows up under reply after you've posted.

Comments are closed for this article.