Image via Pinterest
The Blue Jays played some form of the Detroit Tigers this afternoon in Dunedin, and I’m preeeeeetty sure I listened to this one. And I didn’t even fall asleep once!
The score, of course, doesn’t matter, but there are still a few things from this one that I think are worth talking about.
- Free Dalton Pompey! The not-technically-a-“prospect” had been “under the weather” at the start of camp, so it was something of a surprise when he came in to play left field in the fifth. Pompey ended up having a very nice day at the plate, homering and picking up a walk in two plate appearances, but… y’know… let’s maybe not get too excited for our would-be left fielder lighting up Sandy Baez, who pitched all of last season for the A-ball West Michigan Whitecaps, posting a 1.35 WHIP (REMEMBER WHIP???) and 88 strikeouts in 113 innings. Y’know?
- Justin Smoak struck out twice and stranded four runners, so he’s in mid-season fucking form.
- Kevin Pillar had a pair of doubles hitting out of the lead-off spot, which I hope to piss doesn’t give anybody any ideas. (Except Kevin, that is. Keep dreaming the lead-off dream, buddy!)
- Reliever Joe Smith wasn’t sharp (you can look the numbers up your damn self), but radio broadcasters Mike Wilner and Ben Nicholson-Smith sure made it sound like he’s got a pretty good grip on a bullpen spot already. CLEVELAND CRONYISM.
- Ryan Borucki, who apparently didn’t start this game, looked kind of alright when he did get into the action, late in the game against a bunch of scrubs. Or at least it sounded like he looked alright. Or, more accurately, ughhhhhh who cares?
- Would really like the Jays to send down Jon Berti, but only because that way I can hopefully get the damned Bye Bye Birdie episode of Mad Men out of my head.
- Melvin Upton managed a hit off of a right-hander, and Jose Bautista still exists, which is nice.
- A bunch of other reliever types pitched, and most of them not terribly well. Meh.
- Still less boring than the NHL trade deadline!!!
- A-Mayza-Ing Update:
Tim Mayza was just sitting at 96, touched 98 a couple times, and flashed a 90 mph wipeout slider. That’d certainly play as a second lefty!
— Joshua (@JoshuaHowsam) March 1, 2017