The Greek tragedy now has reached its much-anticipated fifth act! Troy Tulowitzki, according to Jon Morosi, could be back before the end of April.
To give everyone a quick refresher, this began at the very beginning of spring training when it was reported that the veteran shortstop had bone spurs removed from his heel and it wasn’t an issue. Minutes after that, it was reported that he was dealing with a bone spur in his heel and that he might have a delayed start to camp. A few days later, John Gibbons praised Gift Ngoepe and said he he could be a good replacement if Tulo started the year on the DL. Then, finally, it was announced that he wouldn’t be ready to start the season.
I’ve broken it all down here:
A Blue Jays Greek tragedy in four acts: pic.twitter.com/SwUgYfitfc— Cam Lewis (@cooom) March 4, 2018
What’s everyone’s guess for Act Six? The Jays hope Tulo will be ready before the All-Star break? The Blue Jays expect Tulo to be back for the stretch drive? Surely we all expect that this is going to continue spiralling down the pit of doom, right?
As I said before, I imagine someone like Gift Ngoepe will start the season in Tulo’s place and Aledmys Diaz will roll into the starter’s role. There’s also the possibility that Russell Martin could see some reps at third base and Josh Donaldson could slide to short like we saw a few times last year. But, ultimately, this is why the Jays went out and acquired Diaz and Yangervis Solarte. The team is prepared for this extremely predictable reality.