MLB opening day in jeopardy if no CBA in the next week
At least 4 wks needed for spring training. So by March 3rd. And 1 wk needed to ratify CBA / get visas for int'l players / travel staff & gear / set final off-season business in motion. So that's Feb. 24. A week from today.
— Ben Nicholson-Smith (@bnicholsonsmith) February 17, 2022
MLB playoff format is set fans gonna love it – 7 playoff teams per league – Team with best record gets bye and goes to Div Series – Top remaining Div Winner picks opponent from the 4 wild card teams and plays best of three all games at home – Then the 3rd Div winner does the same
— Craig Carton (@craigcartonlive) February 17, 2022
- Tampa Bay, Houston, Chicago, Boston, New York, Toronto, and Seattle are playoff teams,
- Tampa Bay would have been the top seed that got a bye to the Division Series,
- Houston would get to pick any opponent from the pool of non-Tampa playoff teams,
- Chicago would pick their opponent from the remaining teams,
- the final two teams would automatically get paired up,
- and the three higher-seeded teams each host a three-game play-in series.
If the MLBPA agrees to this type of format, that's upwards of 16 extra postseason games per year (three 3-game series per league, but no wild card games). That's worth a FORTUNE to MLB, so the PA should basically get everything else they've asked for in return. https://t.co/spxbU0aD7x
— Joshua (@JoshuaHowsam) February 17, 2022