Photo Credit: Wikimedia Commons

Ice fell from the the CN Tower on to the roof of the Rogers Centre

A return to Toronto means no games are going to be postponed due to weather, right? Right?!?! You’d think, given the fact the Jays play indoors when it’s shitty outside, that baseball in Toronto is bulletproof from Mother Nature. But that might not be the case.

The CN Tower has been closed due to “extreme weather” and large chunks of ice have fallen off of the tower and on to the roof of the Rogers Centre. Police are reportedly working to determine the extent of the damage to the roof but, as of right now, the entrances to both the CN Tower and Rogers Centre are closed.

The Blue Jays are scheduled to play the Kansas City Royals at 7:07 pm ET, but you have to wonder at this point if the game might be cancelled. If so, that would be the first time in SkyDome/Rogers Centre history that the futuristic weather-proof stadium has been closed due to, uh, weather.

This is kinda terrifying.

Another guy on Twitter said he was inside Rogers Centre when ice slammed on the roof resulting in a cloud bang.

Welcome to hell, folks. The Endless Winter has dug its claws into our world and it doesn’t want to let go!

I’ll update this as more information comes in. 

  • Barry

    This sounds like a no-brainer. If they’re unable to assess damage because they’re concerned about further ice falling … then they’re not going to be playing a game there. It’s certainly not looking like the weather is going to make it easier to check in the next few hours, and I would think they’d need to make a call well before gates are scheduled to open.

    The Royals aren’t back in town this year, so they’ll either make the game up on a mutual off day, or turn Wednesday’s 4 p.m. start into a 1 p.m. start and play a double-header.

  • Barry

    Also, this doesn’t sound like a “baseball will be played tonight” tweet.

    “Matt Rorabeck

    I was inside the Rogers Centre this morning and heard a HUGE crash and then snow/ice coming through the roof onto the field. The fire alarm then went off. Heard another crash a few minutes later. “