Newest Dodgers pitcher Eric Lauer, acquired from the Blue Jays, met with the media in San Diego and addressed his recent comment about Toronto’s use of an opener before his starts. “I think some of that, or a lot of that was kinda taken out of context,” Lauer said. “There were Show more
Former Blue Jays left-hander Eric Lauer addresses opener comments with Dodgers media

Photo credit: © David Kirouac-Imagn Images
May 21, 2026, 11:00 EDTUpdated: May 21, 2026, 09:38 EDT
The Toronto Blue Jays have made plenty of roster moves this season, given the carousel of injuries that have hampered the big league roster.
One of the more impactful moves was designating left-hander Eric Lauer for assignment, who was then subsequently traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers, a team that is also struggling with injuries to its rotation.
Lauer has struggled to find his form in 2026 after an impressive campaign with the Jays last season. On top of his struggles on the field, Lauer also made comments to the Jays media regarding the club’s use of an opener before his starts that drew the ire of some in the fanbase and generated a comment from the Blue Jays skipper, John Schneider.
“It’s definitely different. To be real blunt, I hate it. I can’t stand it,” Lauer told the Jays beat back in mid-April. “You work with what you got. Part of it, too, we’re trying to mix some things up. We’re trying to find ways to win, so I think it’s a game plan we had, and I think we went out there and tried to execute the best we could… That’s really all you can do… It messes with your pre-game routine… We’re creatures of habit. It changes the rhythm and routine. It’s a little harder to time things out… You can make it work the best you can. Hopefully, it’s not something that we will continue doing. But that’s above my pay grade.”
The last comment was probably the sticking point for Schneider.
“I respect everyone’s opinion,” Schneider told the beat. “I know the end of his quote was, ‘It’s above my pay grade,’ and it definitely is above his pay grade as to how we use him. We’re trying to win, you know what I mean? My job is to put him in spots to try to have success. That’s what I try to do. He’s aware of that. He gets that. Anyone who’s been bounced around a little bit, he wants to start, I get it. But he’s on board with us just trying to win and, go out and execute until we take the ball from you, big fella, and do it again the next time.”
Sitting in the San Diego Padres visitor’s dugout with his Dodgers uniform on, Lauer spoke to reporters about his time in Toronto and about his opener comments in particular.
“I think some of that, or a lot of that was kinda taken out of context… There were no hurt feelings. It was a very simple question, I thought….I think if you ask most starters in the league they would probably have the same response that they don’t like it…..We’re all here to win ball games. It’s not about any individual player. Yeah, that was a lot more than I expected it to turn into. I got a lot of hate for that.”
Whether that’s true or not, Lauer was not happy about the opener situation, but also likely had a chip on his shoulder after losing his arbitration case earlier this winter. The Jays filed at $4.4 million while Lauer filed at $5.75 million, and it was the Jays who took home the win. A lot of players won their cases this past offseason, and only Lauer, Keegan Akin (Orioles), Reid Detmers (Angels), and Cakvub Faucher (Marlins) lost this winter.
The southpaw struggled to find his 2025 form, posting a 6.69 ERA and a 6.93 FIP through 36 1/3 innings and eight appearences, two of which required an opener. He ranked towards the bottom of the league in terms of his ‘stuff’ and saw a decrease in his K/9 (6.4) while seeing an increase in his walk rate (4.0 BB/9).
Lauer battled some flu issues early in the campaign, but he struggled post-illness and the Jays thought it was best to part ways with the veteran hurler.
CHECK OUT OFF THE ROSTER – NEW EPISODES EVERY WEEKDAY
Off The Roster is Toronto sports. Hosted by Cabbie Richards, Lindsay Dunn, and Dan Riccio, this is the go-to morning conversation for everything happening in the 6ix – Hockey, Baseball, Basketball and everything in between. From breakout performances and questionable trades to throwback jerseys, viral moments, and the stories fans are actually talking about—it’s smart, sharp, and never scripted. Live weekday mornings on the Nation Network YouTube channel and available wherever you stream podcasts, the show delivers real opinions, real chemistry, and real Toronto energy. Missed an episode? Catch up anytime. Off The Roster—The new sound of the 6ix.
Breaking News
- Former Blue Jays left-hander Eric Lauer addresses opener comments with Dodgers media
- Blue Jays: Nolan Perry strikes out 10 over five scoreless innings
- Blue Jays roster news: Nathan Lukes begins rehab assignment, setting up tough roster decision in Toronto
- Instant Reaction: Blue Jays defeat Yankees as Trey Yesavage dazzles in the Bronx
- Blue Jays prospect Johnny King dominates once again with the Vancouver Canadians

