The Clevelanders got on Marcus Stroman early, but the Jays answered back with eight unanswered runs (including one off of Andrew Miller!) to complete the comeback as the bullpen completely slammed the door.
Things worth mentioning…
- Marcus Stroman allowed two runs in the first and second innings. It looked like his day was going to be cut very short, which is never an ideal way to begin a series, but Stroman grinded it out and managed to go five innings. It wasn’t great, but Stroman being able go three more innings without allowing a run was huge for Toronto’s comeback.
- Teoscar Hernandez was recalled today in place of Josh Donaldson being placed on the disabled list. He was immediately slotted into the No. 2 slot in the lineup and he made his presence felt. Hernandez clubbed a double off of Andrew Miller to drive in the go-ahead run, which is one hell of a thing to do because Miller is basically like using a cheat code in a video game. He also smacked another double in the eighth inning that was basically a 400-foot line drive. I don’t think he wants to go back down to Buffalo any time soon.
- Scoring a run off of Andrew Miller, fuck yeah. Randal Grichuk was at third with Steve Pearce batting. Pearce grounded out and Cleveland threw out Grichuk at home. It looked like the Jays were going to squander the chance, but they got some help from an old friend in Yan Gomes. With Hernandez batting, Gomes had a passed ball that allowed Pearce to advance to second. If that doesn’t happen, Pearce might not score on Hernandez’s double.
- It was a very gusty effort by the Jays on Friday night. Like, when Cleveland went up 4-0, it was easy to assume they were just going to roll over. But the Jays clawed back with a big inning in the fourth led by Aledmys Diaz’s three-run bomb. It was also huge that the ‘pen was able to slam the door after Stroman was pulled, so hats off to them. This good bullpen, power-hitting lineup is a nice combo. The Jays are never totally out of a game.
- Devon Travis got hit in the hand by a pitch in the ninth inning and left the game. I’ll update further as more information comes out.