Game 2 in Minnesota was another exciting one, this time going into extras with the Jays finishing on top.
Things worth mentioning…
- After allowing 2 runs in the first inning, Estrada only managed to get through 5 innings of work (for the third straight game!) allowing 4 runs on 7 hits. The offence definitely helped him out in this one, tying things up in the 8th.
- Kendrys Morales was slotted into the game 40 minutes before first pitch in place of Steve Pearce for what the team said was a “managers decision”. Morales snapped what seemed like an 0-for-forever with two bombs. It’ll be worth paying attention to what kept Pearce out of the game as he was on the bench the entire time.
You: It's gonna be May.
Us: It's gonna be Morales. pic.twitter.com/f8fSG12c0s
— Toronto Blue Jays (@BlueJays) May 2, 2018
- Kevin Pillar hit his 10th straight hit for extra bases, giving him the second longest streak in franchise history. It ended up coming clutch, as he scored the game winning run.
- In other Morales news, he stole a base. Yup. His first since 2009 came after Pillar stole 3rd and it was absolutely electric. Especially during a 10th inning that was an absolute disaster for the Twins, with the Jays scoring off of two wild pitches and an infield single.
Kendrys Morales has the 10th slowest sprint speed in MLB this year and the Twins didn't even attempt to throw him out on that stolen base attempt.
— Ian Hunter (@BlueJayHunter) May 2, 2018
- The Jays are now 14-0 on the season when scoring 7 or more runs. With the starting pitching still struggling to go deep into games, the never-say-die attitude from the offence (very 2015-ish) will be the key to staying in the win column.
- Lastly, the bullpen welt 5 innings and didn’t allow a run. That is all.
Jays will look for the sweep tomorrow in Minnesota before travelling to Cleveland on Thursday.